As usual, this morning I woke up and read through my daily emails. I always enjoy a quick click-through of my Glitter Guide email and today was no exception. This time of year, I somehow always develop a baking habit. So, this morning’s Glitter Guide email satisfied my baking craze because I’m newly inspired to bake the naked champagne cake that the lifestyle site profiled. It isn’t a particularly fall recipe but it is perfect for a ladies brunch or a girlfriend’s birthday.
Champagne Cake Recipe
Recipe for cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups champagne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans (or cut and use parchment paper to fit the pans).
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in flour mixture and champagne in three alternating additions, starting and ending with flour to prevent curdling.
- Pour batter into pans and bake 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and then frost the middle and top layer only with Champagne Buttercream Frosting.
Recipe for Champagne Buttercream Frosting:
- Beat butter for 1 minute in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, champagne, milk, and vanilla.
- Continue beating until smooth and creamy.
I’m toasting to a happy Tuesday for everyone!