I hope you enjoy this post from 2015! For my always updated official Los Angeles Travel Guide, head here!
12 Fun Summer Things to do in Los Angeles
1. Sip wine outdoors at Malibu Wines – Drive into the hills of Malibu on a sunny day to enjoy wine tasting and live music. Be sure to bring a blanket and a picnic if you plan to stay all day.
2. Go to the beach – Head to First Point Malibu because it’s a classic or to El Matador beach to avoid crowds. “Zeros” Nicholas Canyon Beach is perfect if you’re looking for a hidden surf spot. Santa Monica Beach, Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Hermosa Beach are all fun beaches because they have food stands along them and you can walk right off them into town. However, they can get very crowded in the summer.
3. Grab cocktails outside – Los Angeles has an abundance of lively and relaxed spots to grab a drink while enjoying the Southern California sun. My go to spots are The Bungalow in Santa Monica and The High Rooftop at the Hotel Erwin in Venice. Other mentionable spots are the patio restaurant at Chateau Marmont in Hollywood, The Roof on Wilshire in Midcity, and the roof at The Ace Hotel (known as Upstairs) in Downtown.
4. Do a Star Tour – Star Tours are very touristy but they are a blast! Do one in an open air car or double-decker bus to enjoy the weather while you learn about Los Angeles history, explore beautiful neighborhoods, and see celebrity homes from now and then.
5. Take an ice cream tour of the city – There are so many sweet spots around town. I’m partial to Sweet Rose Creamery in Brentwood (they also have locations in Santa Monica and Mid City). I also love Beachy Cream in Santa Monica, and Salt & Straw in Larchmont Village.
6. See an outdoor concert at the Hollywood Bowl or the Greek Theater – Both venues are historical outdoor theaters. The way to do concerts at both spaces is to bring a picnic to them to enjoy at the picnic tables outside of the venues before the music starts.
7. Shop outside on one of my favorite walking streets – Montana Avenue in Santa Monica, Brentwood Country Mart in Brentwood, Robertson Boulevard in West Hollywood, Larchmont Boulevard in Larchmont Village, Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, and Malibu Country Mart in Malibu.
8. Go sailing out of Marina del Rey – Spend a day on the water by renting a sailboat or taking sailing lessons out of LA’s main sailing marina, Marina del Rey.
9. Take a weekend getaway – One of the best parts about living in Los Angeles is that it’s so easy to get out of Los Angeles! No really, LA is a short drive away from Santa Barbara, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, San Diego, and Palm Springs not to mention an easy ferry ride from Catalina Island. For all of these locations, pack: a beach towel, Bronze Goddess perfume, a panama hat, sandals, a swimsuit, and a pair of sunnies.
10. Try a new workout – Living in a big city like LA means there are endless ways to exercise. Try one of these: SoulCycle, Flywheel, Burn 60, Barry’s Bootcamp, Pilates Platinum, Physique 57, Pop Physique, Cardio Barre, CorePower Yoga, YogaWorks or walk/run the Santa Monica Stairs.
11. Wear nautical outfits – Summer by the beach calls for wearing lots of nautical inspired clothes. Slip on these espadrilles, a pair of white jeans, a striped shirt, and a sweater for a classic look.
12. Go hiking – People often think of Los Angeles as a big city (true) so they don’t realize that Los Angeles has tons of hiking trails. My favorite hiking trail in LA is Temescal Canyon. It is a great loop with pretty views of the whole Los Angeles coastline. Westridge Trail is a great dog friendly hike. I also like Los Liones Trail and Topanga Canyon. In the middle of Los Angeles you can also hike Griffith Park.
Stay tuned for my Los Angeles travel guide, coming soon!
I’m hoping to get to LA at the beginning of September! Can’t wait to try some of your suggestions for outdoor cocktails!
Thanks Sarah! Hope you enjoy them!